Ode to bloggers..
Every Tuesday over at the The Broke and Bookish we all get to look at a particular topic for discussion and use various (or more to the point ten) examples to demonstrate that particular topic. The topic this week is :
Ten Books I’ve Read Because Of Another Blogger
One of the beauties of blogging is the number of amazing books that I’ve picked up as a result of great recommendations. This list barely scratches the surface of course – not to mention I can’t in fairness always remember who recommended a book. Of course a lot of books I’ve stumbled on purely by good fortune (or dumb luck) but here are a few examples of books that I probably would have overlooked (at least for a while):
- I am Legend by Richard Matheson – this is one of many titles that I came to read courtesy of Jenny at Wondrous Reads.
- The Troupe by Robert J Bennett – recommended to me by Andrea at The Little Red Reviewer – again, one of many titles that I’ve picked up from this excellent blog!
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman – I first read about this on Carl’s Stainless Steel Droppings blog – I can also credit Sanderson’s Way of Kings and Butcher’s Dresden files to my early exploration of this blog.
- The Kushiel books by Jacqueline Carey. To be honest I had already read Kushiel’s Dart but hadn’t continued with the series. Thanks to Susan at Dab of Darkness and a number of readalongs involving a host of other bloggers I’m now in the process of reading my sixth book from this series (Kushiel’s Mercy).
- My favourite UF of the moment – the Toby Daye series by Seanan McGuire. Currently reading book six as part of a readalong. I wouldn’t have picked up this series without the readalongs organised by Lisa at Over The Effing Rainbow.
- Danya at Fine Print recommended to me Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews which was a rather sizzling first in series that I really look forward to continuing with!
- Mogsy at the Bibliosanctum first drew my attention to Dreamer’s Pool by Juliet Marillier which I loved.
- Lisa at Tenacious Reader recently wrote a review for Rae Carson’s Walk on Earth a Stranger. Now, I had seen this around the blogosphere a number of times and I like the look of it already but this review I think really pushed me over the edge with this one. I haven’t yet picked it up but it’s on the top of my list now.
- The next two are slightly different. The Classics Club blog is a blog where people come together to talk about classic literature and to set themselves up with a list of books that they would like to way. It’s a way of encouraging us all to pick up some of the older books that we might otherwise not get to. I’ve read some good books so far – my last one was the very dark and spooky House of Usher by Poe.
- Finally, three different sci fi events hosted by Rinn Reads, Stainless Steel Droppings and Little Red Reviewer that have increased my sci reading enormously. For example, I never would have read Flowers for Algernon or Fahrenheit 451 without these events and that would have been a crying shame.
And now, a little buffet of covers: