May: My month in review
The month of May is almost complete. It flew by all too quick but it was great fun with lots of good reading and a bit of travel. Hope yours was great too.
Books read: (with links to reviews)
- Silent Army by James A Moore
- Between Two Thorns by Emma Newman
- Kushiel’s Justice by Jacqueline Carey
- The Prophecy Con by Patrick Weekes
- Stranger of Tempest by Tom Lloyd
- The Sudden Appearance of Hope by Claire North
- Fish Night by Joe Lansdale
- The Wheel of Osheim by Mark Lawrence
- Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May
- Company Town by Madeline Ashby
Last month’s covers are here
I have one this month! – The Prophecy Con by Patrick Weekes which I really enjoyed reading as a buddy read with Danya from Fine Print. Hopefully we’ll read the third book in June which will then count to my completed series.
Unfinished series completed:
The Wheel of Osheim by Mark Lawrence – the third and final book in The Red Queen’s War – what a completely excellent series – just go and read it. Please.
Difficult to believe but this month is the first month in forever that I’ve not bought any books and I’m quite ridiculously pleased with myself – not because I don’t like buying books – just simply because I was trying to go easy with requests and buying this month so this is a success!
Review Books: (with links to Goodreads)
- Wolf’s Empire: Gladiator by Claudia Christian, Morgan Grant Buchanan
- Red Right Hand by Levi Black
- Hope and Red by Jon Skovron
- Eligible by Curtis Sittenfield
- Time Siege by Wesley Chu
- Kojiki by Keith Yatsuhashi
- A Deadly Affection by Culyer Overhalt
- Gods of Nabban by K V Johansen
- In the Shadow of the Gods by Rachel Dunne
- Acts of Love by Talulah Riley
- The Comfort of Others by Kay Langdale
- The City of Woven Streets by Emmi Itaranta
I’m not going for an either or situation this month but have chosen 3 covers that I particularly like:
Backlist Backburn is an end of month event organised by Lisa at Tenacious Reader. If you’ve caught up on any of your backlist then call over and link up. I find this a good incentive to dust off some of my books although I’ve not done very well recently (although one this month – see above).
Top Ten Tuesday at The Broke and Bookish (every Tuesday)
Waiting on Wednesday is an event hosted by Breaking the Spine where every week we get to shine the spotlight on a book that we’re looking forward to.
The Friday Face off by Books by Proxy
- Kushiel’s Justice by Jacqueline Carey – now completed – readalong of the third book to be announced shortly.
- An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuide now completed – readalong of Book No.4 to be announced shortly – probably for the month of July
- Readalong of the second in series of Emma Newman’s Split World series: details to follow
Classic Clubs read:
None this month.
Once Upon a Time by Stainless Steel Droppings (details here):
Books already read for OUaT:
- Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire
- Fellside by M R Carey
- The Everything Box by Richard Kadrey
Previous months in review:
The SPFBO 2:
My posts so far:
The next post which will highlight my thoughts for the first five books to follow shortly.
Follow the ‘cover’ competition over at Mark Lawrence’s blog – 10 bloggers – each selected 3 covers from their batch.