Today is the fifth week of our readalong of Naamah’s Kiss. Feel free to join in (the schedule is below) or to jump in with the comments. This week the questions are being hosted by Susan at Dab of Darkness
. Please be aware that spoilers may be lurking below for this and future books in the series so please be careful.
Dec. 5th Week 1 – Chapters 1-12, Hosted by Lynn
1) Moirin and the Circle do one final summoning. What did you think of Folkolor’s choices in who to spare or not? King Daniel also has to make some choices in who to punish or not – do you think he was fair? Is he correct in that he should have given his people something greater to strive for?
To be honest – I suppose they were all in it together weren’t they. Having said that, I don’t think any of the participants were being particularly malicious, just very ambitious and maybe a bit power crazy which in turn was maybe giving them poor judgement. The price was high but they should have listened to Moirin – they just thought they knew better. I don’t really think any of the choices were fair because they were all complicit together, if anything Raphael seems more guilty – but that’s only because we know more about him. I don’t think the punishment was fair on any of them really – if it was going to be fair they would have all suffered something wouldn’t they?
2) Master Lo is summoned home to Ch’in to do what he can for the Emperor’s daughter Snow Tiger. What do you think of her ailment? What role, if any, do you expect Moirin to play in healing her?
Her ailment seems to be strangely along the same lines of what was taking place with the Circle and I can’t help thinking that Moirin’s gift might come into play. Exactly how I have no idea whatsoever but I feel sure it must be significant for some reason so maybe this.
3) We learn more about Bao’s past. Do you like him any more or any less now? We also hear some amazing things about Master Lo. Do you think any of them are true?
Bao – I like him, he has a past but then everyone does and that what makes him what he is today? I don’t dislike him for it. He’s been very forthright and not tried to hide anything and I appreciate his honesty. As to Master Lo – it all sounded a little like the Giant Slayer fable! It could all be perfectly true or it could have been embellished in the way of Chinese Whispers.
4) During the lengthy voyage, Moirin has language lessons, learns a bit about the Ch’in religions, and enjoys Bao’s attentions. What stood out for you?
Well, not to draw attention to it, lol, but I suppose Moirin and Bao actually discovering each other rather stood out for me. In particular because of the way they started out, the differences in culture – for me, I think you could draw very strong parallels between their relationship and that of Phedre and Joscelin. And, I really can’t blame Ms Carey for that – it’s a winning combination style after all.
5) They finally make land right into the middle of a civil war. What do you think about Black Sleeve? What do you think his relationship to Master Lo is?
To be honest I really don’t know other than master/pupil gone wrong maybe?