Harry Potter Month (21)
Today is day twenty-one of my challenge to post each day about Harry Potter. Quotes, books, films, discussions and silliness. Today let’s go to the movies.
Adaptations can sometimes be a book lover’s nightmare. Lets be honest we can get a bit caught up with the book and a bit resentful of changes and certainly the Harry Potter films did make some changes and at times completely omit things altogether. That being said I enjoyed the films very much and always highly anticipated the next one being released. Today, I’m putting the films into my favourite order – no doubt we’ll all have different opinions on this one but here goes with my favourite at the top of the list (and believe me when I say this wasn’t an easy list to make and it’s been revised a few times already):
- The Prisoner of Azkaban: this film felt like a change in direction than the earlier ones. It was more dark and moody.
- The Order of the Phoenix: Another dark film and one in which we finally realise that things are getting serious.
- The Goblet of Fire: I love this one – the school competition is brilliant and it’s just got some of the most excellent scenes, Ron learning to dance, dragons, mermaids, just such a lot going on.
- The Deathly Hallows (2): I wasn’t a fan of the book being split into two films but of the two this one was the superior film with all the action!
- The Chamber of Secrets: The Chamber of Secrets is the film that got me hooked – I really enjoyed this one – huge snakes and huge spiders – what’s not to love.
- The Half Blood Prince: – One of my least favourite films – not bad as such but just not as gripping for me.
- The Deathly Hallows (1) – found this one disappointing – it felt like the first half of something which is basically what it is. The second film is far better.
- The Philosopher’s Stone – this isn’t a bad film but I never felt like the quality was as good somehow. Let’s face it though, even as my least favourite I still liked it enough to watch all the others.