My best reads for 2013
So 2013 is winding down to it’s conclusion and it’s time to review my year of books. This is always so difficult to actually choose 10 books that you’ve enjoyed more than everything else you’ve read and I admit that I’ve revised this list a few times. I started out highlighting my favourites then realised I had more than 10. Then I decided if I split this by male and female I could have 10 in each category which is a nice way of cheating and being able to choose 20 books – happy face to that. Then I realised I’m not going to cheat but keep this as I usually do with a list of 10 so some whittling had to take place. From the 20 these are my 10 choices that I absolutely loved without reservation:
- The Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence – I love this series. Unfortunately this is the last one but we are going to return to this world with a new series in 2014 – I’m so excited that I could have an accident! (Probably too much info).
- The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch – this is an amazing series, plus Jean Tannen!
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman – Neil Gaiman is a legend – if you’ve not read his books then please do so as you’re missing such fine work.
- Cormorant by Chuck Wendig – really dark and gritty, incredibly compelling-can’t-put-down-and-continue-with-normal-life until you’ve finished. Miriam is fantastic to read about – not for the faint hearted mind!
- Zoo City by Lauren Beukes – this was such an original piece of work, I love the world created, also recommend The Shining Girls by this author.
- The Emperor’s Soul by Brandon Sanderson – only a short piece of work but for me a personal favourite of Sanderson’s.
- Beauty by Sarah Pinborough – I love this series and it was difficult to choose just one – the others being Poison and Charm.
- Miserere by Teresa Frohock – I loved this book, such an unusual world created, very gripping indeed.
- Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb – my first book by this author and now I’ve read it I can’t believe I’ve not read more!! Must rectify that immediately.
- American Elsewhere by Robert Bennett – I worry about this author! Very twisted. Seriously though, his books are amazing!
On top of that my challenges:
100 books in a year hosted by Book Chick City – complete (by the skin of my teeth)
Worlds Without End – Women of Genre Fiction reading challenge complete to December (think we all have a book chosen for us now).
Plus, took part in Vintage Sci Fi by Little Red Reviewer, the Sci Fi Experience by Stainless Steel Droppings, Once Upon a Time and Readers Imbibing Peril by Stainless Steel Droppings. Completed 4 books out of my Classics Club list. Took part in readalongs for The Wee Free Men, Wintersmith and I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett, The Dragon’s Path by Daniel Abraham and Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch.
To start off 2014 I will be taking part in a readalong of Brandon Sanderson’s Way of Kings – the details are here – and I believe there may be goodies so come on over (to the dark side) and sign yourself up now – really, it’s going to be awesome!
That’s it for me.
Happy New Year